Bangkok Foodie: Som Tam Nua, Siam Square
Som Tam Nua on Siam Square soi 5 has won CNNGo’ s Best Eats 2010 Awards in the category Bangkok Best Som Tam (papaya salad). Three years later, is it still worthy of this title?
How does it look like?
It has a casual and trendy atmosphere. You can tell that mostly foreigners (expats and tourists) and young locals patronize this restaurant. The wooden tables and benches make perfect sense in this neighborhood.
How do they treat you?
This establishment is really busy (you often have to queue outside to get a seat) and even though the staff is polite, it is hard to get their attention.
How is the food?
We had the Som Tam Kai Kem, papaya salad with salty egg, some steam rice and grilled chicken. The poultry was moist and crispy and the spicy sauce delicious. The salty eggs were creamy and the papaya salad perfectly balanced, not too spicy for farang taste buds and with enough acidity.
As for drinks, the coconut water was fresh and presented as traditionally in its huge shell. The lemon soda was a bit too sweet for my taste though.
Even though the place is reputed among locals and expats, the prices aren’t high. Dishes are around 60 to 100 bahts.
Som Tum Nua is a great restaurant to go to in the evening right before a night out in town or a walk through Siam Square’s night market.
How to go there?
Som Tam Nua is located on Siam Square soi 5, few meters away from Siam BTS station.
- Bangkok Foodie: Costa Coffee, Siam Paragon (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Petite Audrey, Siam Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: On the table, Siam Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Papaya Salad (sunnyslice.wordpress.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Booms, Bangkok Art & Culture Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Casa Lapin, Ari (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Doi Chaang, Central Rama 9 (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Gindaco, Esplanade (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Spoonful Zakka Café, The Portico (damieniciouailleurs.com)