Bangkok Foodie: Carl’s Jr., Mega Bangna (update)
Carl’s Jr. is making big juicy burgers from California since 1941. Are those “authentic American hamburger” fulfilling and original enough to be better than the usual fast food franchises?
A little bit of history
Back in 1941, using nothing more than a hot dog cart, a young Carl N. Karcher and his wife Margaret launched the now legendary Carl’s Jr.® brand. Concentrated primarily on the West Coast of the United States, today there are more than 1300 Carl’s Jr.® restaurants worldwide. The brand continues its growth with an emphasis on premium quality food, outstanding guest service and innovations such as partial table service and all-you-can-drink beverage bar.
How does it look like?
It looks as American as it could be. Diner-like tables, with towel dispensers, desert murals. When the Far East meets the Far West.
How do they treat you?
The staff is polite and friendly. The food is served quickly and warm.
How is the food?
I had the Double Bacon Western Burger and it was humongous! It is definitely American-friendly in its size and taste. The quality of the meat was noticeable. The bacon was crisp and delicious. If the taste is truly western, I wish it had some sour notes to balance the taste a bit more.
What is great with Carls Jr. is in the choice of different fries. I had the onion ring and if I was happy to be able to have that on the menu, I wish they had been a little less greasy.
I also had the beef tex mex burger which I have found very disapointing, it is SO different from the picture that it is shoking. It isn’t spicy and the vegetables are cut very small and look like they come from a box. The chili fries are quite good though.
The burger cost 225 bahts, the onion rings 69 bahts and the drinks are around 50 bahts. You can also try out their hand-scooped milkshakes. It is more expensive than McDonalds but around the same price as Burger King, for what I felt was a better quality burger.
We know that fast-food isn’t healthy but if you decide to indulge in a good burger (without it being too pricey), head to Carl’s Jr.
The other branches
1. 3rd floor, beach side, near glass elevator @ Central Festival Pattaya Beach
Operating Hour: 11:00 AM until 11:00 PM
2. 24th Avenue @ Sukhumvit 24th near The Davis Hotel, Bangkok
Operating Hour: 11:00 AM until Midnight
3. Opposite Thaniya Plaza @ Silom, Soi Thaniya
Operating Hour: 11:00 AM until Midnight (SUN-THU)
11:00 AM until 2:00 AM (FRI-SAT)
4. Nana Square, Sukhumvit Soi 3rd
Operating Hour: 24 hr.
- Bangkok Foodie: Sizzler, Central Bangna (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Casa Lapin x 49 (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Doi Chaang, Central Rama 9 (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Too fast to sleep, MRT Sam Yan (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Roast, SeenSpace Thonglor (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Som Tam Nua, Siam Square (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Costa Coffee, Siam Paragon (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Barista, Major Bowl Sukhumvit (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Petite Audrey, Siam Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)