Bangkok Foodie: Chu, Exchange Tower (update)
Chu is all-day long cake and brunch café and a Bangkokians’ favorite. After its expansion and renovation, the beloved chocolate loving establishment has reopened partially.
How does it look like?
The new place looks very spacious and almost empty but it dives you enough room to feel like having an intimate conversation with your friend. Isn’t it what you want from a brunch?
How do they treat you?
The staff is very polite and speaks good English. Sadly the waiters are cold and not smiley.
How is the food?
As it was still in its soft opening, Chu didn’t offer an extensive menu. But it still had his famous chocolate drinks. The darkest one, made with 58% cacao French baking chocolate (as opposed to cacao powder) is a must-have (hot B100, iced B120, frappe B130).
I haven’t tried brunch (but I will surely come back for it). Instead, I had a deconstructed classic New York cheesecake with compoted cherries, cream cheese and broken down biscuit.
I also had a warm toffee nut latte and an ice macadamia nut latte (both great alternatives to the usual hazelnut syrup).
I came back and tried the churros, which were warm and cinnamony.
Chu is on the expensive side of the spectrum. Beverages are around the same price as for a starbuck but if you want brunch count at least 250 bahts for a dish.
After few months in action, Chu is already a sure pick. Let’s just hope that the staff will lighten up!
8 out of 10 chocolate bars
How to go there?
Chu is located just a few minutes from the Asoke junction on Sukhumvit, on the second floor of the Exchange Tower.
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 07:30-21:30 and Saturday – Sunday: 09:00-21:00
- Bangkok Foodie: Casa Lapin, Ari (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Secret recipe, Terminal 21 (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Let them eat cake, Siam Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Café Kaldi, Esplanade (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Farm Design (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Mr Jones’ Orphanage, Siam Center (damieniciouailleurs.com)
- Bangkok Foodie: Vista Café, Mega Bangna (damieniciouailleurs.com)